2/16/08

9 down 1 to go

Man … it's been a slow year so far … been working far to few hours in the studio and far to many doing design stuff. Mind numbing, mind fucking and not a wee bit of mind blowing. But hey … shit could be worse right? The good thing is I finally committed to start working out! IGod knows 've been talking about it for years now and finally found something I genuinely like doing; kick boxing. Great stuff although strange and intricate. So you won't see me inside a ring anytime soon – that's for sure.

As the headline for this entry reads: I have now only one song left to record. »It's about time«, my wife tells me and she's right (per usual). The last one (9th) was a real pain in my behind and it took me about two months to finalize the lyrics for it. It's a mixture between opera, rap and Queen. The rhythm and melody – not the actual words. Probably the best song I've produced in every aspect. If you ask me anyway. Looking forward to mixing it, and speaking of mixing; I've actually located the person up for the task!

When Peter Katis was forced to cancel on me, due to work overload, I freaked out and started searching for a worthy replacement. I decided early on that I was looking for someone who had a completely different background and track record than Peter – someone who'd mainly worked with heavier bands and artists. Three names came to mind;

Alex Newport (Mars Volta, Sepultura, Melvins etc)
Brian McTernan (The Bled, Thrice, Engine Down, Snapcase etc)
Sean Beavan (NIN, Marilyn Manson, Slayer etc).

Amazingly enough they all answered my call, and ended up doing a test mix for one of the new songs. All three versions were really really good – but ultimately I chose Sean's due to the nerve and atmosphere it added to the song. So come end of April me and Rolf are heading to LA to mix the remaining 9 songs of the album. Do I need to tell you I'm stoked beyond stokeness? Well … I am.

And as an end note … I have now filled all the slots for the remix album I'm putting together for the limited edition of »A Partial Print«. Ten artists. Ten great artists. I'm guessing that version of the record will be better than my own!!! Will let y'all know soon enough who they are and what they've done. Til then …

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, grrrreat to hear from you. .D Reading this new information makes me even more impatient! Come April, please come soon. :33 It seems like the limited edition will be a must.

Joshua said...

Uh... What are the odds, R-dawg. I will be passing through LA (after 5 weeks in Mexico) around May 2nd-4th. Think you could squeeze in brunch?

Anonymous said...

Very glad to hear you picked Sean's!

Anonymous said...

i don't know if this is a stupid question since you probably already have mentioned it somewhere but i would really like to know where i could get a hold of that limited edition when possible..
i can't wait for you, you music is amazing.!!

Anonymous said...

Anytime you get to work with someone that's even remotely associated with Trent Reznor, well my friend, you just KNOW you have chosen wisely ;)